1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
I was editor of a literary magazine.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I think they were to lose weight, most likely. I did not do that. FAIL.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I think there were a few more incidents of spawning on my flist.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
An old family friend died pretty recently. Mom came pretty close with her blood clots in January and her surgery in the summer.
5. What countries did you visit?
This year, I didn't even leave Houston. Hermit-like tendencies FTW!
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory?
Most of the year, especially the first half, is still just a blur.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I was pretty proud of the spring issue of Laurels (did not like the fall issue as much). I managed to claw my way through my MBA program, and I am done with it forever THANK GOD.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not losing weight.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just the usual bleeding forever (fun* fact, over 75% of this calendar year was spent with my uterus hating me!)
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I was very grateful to the Laurels staff for being generally awesome. And Emma was pretty cool this year, as well.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Mostly the actions of folks I didn't know.
14. Where did most of your money go?
I still have no job, so it's not really 'my' money. The money I did earn as Laurels editor is sitting in my savings account.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Anything from Glee.
17. Compared to this time last year, you are:
Happier or sadder: Happier. It's amazing how much less anxious and more happy I became as soon as business school was out of the picture.
Thinner or fatter: Almost exactly the same, unless my scale is lying.
Richer or poorer: A bit richer, due to the aforementioned payment for editoring. Which is a word. Shut up.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercising, job-hunting. Writing, drawing.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Wasting time. Stressing.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Family's actually doing something different this year; we're taking my grandparents to their church for a service in the afternoon, then dropping them at home and some of us will go out to eat. The big family gathering will be on Christmas day.
21. What was your favorite month of 2009?
December, most likely.
22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
No, but my existing crushes got worse. So much worse.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
Travis gave me Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar . . .: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes, which I just finished. Also re-read Wicked.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
GLEE**. Also rediscovered the Wicked soundtrack.
28. What did you want and get?
To finish the MBA program, to get into the MLA program.
29. What did you want and not get?
Still waiting on that pony.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Zombieland was entertaining.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 25. Nicole was actually graduating on my birthday, so my parents and Emma went up to Vassar for that. I remained at home. The restaurant where we traditionally go out to eat on my birthday lost its lease, so it is gone.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
That pony. And especially Mom not being sick.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
"Cover that shit up, no one wants to see it." Same as always.
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Still loving Nathan Fillion.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Gay rights, universal health care. In favor of both.
37. Who did you miss?
Jonathan, sometimes-- both of us were swallowed up by our respective schedules and we haven't seen each other in months.
38. Who were the best new people you met?
Got to meet dreamchimes, David M, Alexx, Jasia, Matthew, Mariame, Kim, Kelly, Brittany, Chuckles, and got to know Mary better (those would be the Laurels staff members, minus Travis, Phillip, and paperquilt, who I met in 2008, and David R., who I met in 2007).
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
Doing something you actively, utterly, completely loathe because it's the 'safe' option is a terrible plan. You wind up paying far more than the difference in sanity points.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
I... I can't think of one.
*I mean 'fun' in that 'Oh, assisted suicide is looking better and better with each passing day' sort of way.
**IT COUNTS YOU SHUT YOUR FACE.