- Moving - I am going to Mississippi! Since it could take between three and six years to finish my PhD (I am assuming it will take around four if there are no major problems, but sometimes things go horribly, horribly wrong) I am going to be there a while. And here is where I will be living!
Okay, it's not much now. It's not really anything now. But in theory it'll be a house by August 31st! Unfortunately, school starts August 22nd.
- Crazy Moving Schedule - Which ties into my schedule for the next month or so. My family is moving at the end of July (again, barring horrible disaster or the buyers for our house running away screaming for no reason). About two weeks later, I, my laptop, and a suitcase of clothing head to Hattiesburg. Then, at the end of August, it is house-time, and hopefully my furniture and other miscellaneous belongings will join me.
- Utter Terror - I don't know anyone in Mississippi. At all. I don't know anyone in my program. It takes me for-goddamned-ever to feel comfortable around people. This could end very badly. Or maybe I'll just get a ton of work done. Who knows.
- EMPLOYMENT - That is in all caps because IT IS BIG NEWS. When I was originally accepted to USM, I was not given any sort of funding. Monies were low, times are hard, etc. etc. etc., and it was decided I would go anyway and hopefully manage to get funding next year. However, last week I was offered a teaching assistantship, which means a tuition waiver and a stipend, and also I get to warp the minds of wee baby freshmen students in Freshman Comp I. This is awesome.
- Utter Terror II: Terrible Boogaloo - OH GOD I am responsible for teaching wee baby freshmen. Also, have I mentioned that I never actually took Freshman Comp I? I tested out of it via AP tests, and that was over ten years ago, so I'm really hoping that orientation I'm going to before school starts clears up the minor details like "what the hell this class is about." I have been looking up syllabi from various universities and professors online, so I have a rough idea. But mostly I am just petrified that I'm not going to properly prepare these kids.
This entry was originally posted at http://jenni-the-odd.dreamwidth.org/17486.html. You can comment here or there; it matters only that you comment PLEASE I NEED THE ATTENTION OH GOD PLEASE LOVE ME *SOB*.