1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?
Wrote a 17-page paper. Lived with a roommate. Took a PhD qualifying exam.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did pass my classes and not fail my quals, but I did not lose weight. I will probably make more. I don't learn.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A number of people, including dreamchimes4. There are others. I know there are others, but I am so tired.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not that I can recall.
5. What countries did you visit?
Remained in the US all year.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
Some sense of purpose would be nice. I'd like to care about something, or be able to like what I'm doing.
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory?
None stick out, really.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Passing the qualifying exam, I guess. Managing to actually write and turn in my papers on time.
9. What was your biggest failure?
The papers themselves are shit.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
In retrospect, I probably sprained my ankle this past spring. I proceeded to limp around on it and do absolutely nothing about it, and it eventually got better.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I'm gonna go with the new laptop, which is lovely and doesn't slow down to uselessness or shut down randomly like the old one. Also, the shiny vacuum that scrubs floors. MY FLOORS ARE SO CLEAN.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My professors, classmates, and friends continued to put up with me.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My students were kind of depressing this fall. No one wanted to participate and it was overall a really shitty semester.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I can't remember getting super-excited about anything in particular.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
I seem to have listened to a lot of Ke$ha songs this year.
17. Compared to this time last year, you are:
Happier or sadder: Dunno. Less hopefull.
Thinner or fatter: Fatter.
Richer or poorer: More or less the same.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Studying. Writing. Sleeping.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How will you be spending/did you spend Christmas?
We did a family dinner on Christmas eve that was super-short and weird. Then on Christmas Day, we went to my grandparents' nursing home to do our family secret Santa gift exchange.
21. What was your favorite month of 2013?
Not sure. Maybe June?
22. Did you fall in love in 2013?
Oh please god no. A couple crushes got significantly worse, though.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Sleepy Hollow, New Girl.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
I guess My Brilliant Friend, by Elena Ferrante. Read it for class and quite enjoyed it.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I don't think I made any this year.
28. What did you want and get?
I can't remember wanting anything in particular, nor being disappointed by not getting something.
29. What did you want and not get?
Still waiting on that pony.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Pacific Rim. I was not prepared for how much I would enjoy that movie.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29, and I was in Houston. My car was in the shop, so I probably stayed home all day.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
The ability to sleep properly. The ability to focus for more than a couple of minutes at a time. Even the vaguest idea of what the hell I am doing.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
"Cover that shit up, no one wants to see it." Same as always.
34. What kept you sane?
Being too tired to go proper crazy. The other TAs.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Tom Hiddleston, you have my attention.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Health care. Gay rights. The usual.
37. Who did you miss?
Houston folks. I miss places a lot, if that makes sense? My family's old house, the church where open mic was held. Both are demolished now. It feels... wrong.
38. Who were the best new people you met?
The new crop of grad students are pretty awesome.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013:
This is going to be a long slog of "do this even though your brain is SCREAMING that none of it matters."
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
I really can't think of any. This was a year without music, it feels like.
This entry was originally posted at http://jenni-the-odd.dreamwidth.org/19200.html. You can comment here or there; it matters only that you comment PLEASE I NEED THE ATTENTION OH GOD PLEASE LOVE ME *SOB*.